Democrats will be celebrating wildly in the coming weeks, but the other Party probably needs a drink more.
So Republicans, comfort yourselves on Inauguration Day with the favorite cocktail of the Party’s favorite President. Though not a heavy imbiber, Ronald Reagan was known to sometimes enjoy a ‘weak Orange Blossom.’ This sunny, Prohibition-era tipple hearkens back to the days when the Golden State voted Republican, and Phyllis Schlafly was the Party’s pin-up girl.
I’ve updated this version for the District’s more modern drinking sensibilities – replacing the sweet vermouth with dry cuts the sticky sweetness. Use a good gin – I’m a fan of Rogue’s Pink Spruce Gin, but New Amsterdam is super-affordable, super smooth, and easy to find. Have one for the Gipper. Then have another…
Later in the evening, have a comfort drink to lull you to sleep after a hard day watching triumphal Democrats marching in the streets. Just warm some milk and add Benedictine: the promised land, flowing with Milk & Honey, is only four years in the wilderness away.
Stay tuned Next week for Inaugural Drinking, Part II: Democrats.
The Orange Blossom
- 1 part dry vermouth
- 1 part gin (again, I like Rogue’s Pink Spruce Gin, but New Amsterdam works just as well)
- 1.5 parts fresh orange juice
Pour all ingredients into a highball glass half-filled with ice, stir briskly with a long spoon, drink.
Milk & Honey
- 1 part milk (for the lactose intolerant: this drink is equally tasty with almond or soy milk)
- 1 part Benedictine
Warm the milk, either by:
- 45 seconds in the microwave, watching to make sure it doesn’t boil over; or
- On the stovetop, stir constantly over medium heat until small bubbles form (don’t let it boil!).
Remove from heat source and add Benedictine immediately. Stir a few times so the alcohol can open up, then breathe in the rich fumes. If you’re still awake, sip. The Promised Land is so close, yet….
Latest posts by Jean Schindler (see all)
- Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies with Chef Dana Herbert - May 9, 2013
- Burnt Sage and Blackberry Sangria Recipe - May 1, 2013
- Late Bloomers: Brandied Cherry Recipe - March 30, 2013